Sunday, March 9, 2008

Quick & Easy Mini Easter Baskets

I have 2 baskets to share with you this week. This is the quick & easy one.... and they REALLY are super quick ... I made about 25 of them, as favors, for guests at my workshops last weekend. It was great way to use up small scraps of Designer Paper! Finished size is slightly larger than 1 x 1 and just the right size to hold a Hershey's Nugget. And you know, there's just something so cute about anything thats miniature...including these!! The ones pictured were made with eyelets, but we made some at my hostess clubs this month with colored brads and those were really cute too. You can dress them with flowers and ribbon, or leave them simple, like these. I'm not sure where the pattern originated, but I think I was introduced to the basic design back in gradeschool. The beauty of it is the simplicity. It's just a square divided into 9 equal parts by scoring. You can use cardstock or DP...and you can make it any size you'd like. Just make sure your starting square can be divided into 3 equal parts. Here's how I made these mini baskets:

1) Cut a 3" x 3" square of DP for the basket


2) Cut 1/2" x 5 1/2" of DP for the handle


3) Cut 1" x 3" of DP to wrap the Hershey's Nugget


4) Score (VERY lightly with DP) the 3 x 3" Square at 1" & 2", turn your cardstock and score again at 1" & 2". Your score lines should have divided your square into 9 little squares.


5) Cut in at the 2 score lines on one side of the basket, then cut into the 2 score lines on the opposite side. (see photo)

6) Fold all score lines. You should be able to fold it into a box.


7) Pull the sides together until they look like the photo below (you may need to use just a tiny bit of adhesive to hold it in place).



8) Punch a 1/8" hole on the side of the basket, making sure you punch through all 3 layers of the DP. That would be right about where you can see the dark blue flower in the photo. I used a hand-held fiskar hole punch. I LOVE my cropadile, but it's a pretty small space, so a smaller tool seems to work a little better.


9) Punch a 1/8" hole on each end of the handle.


10) Line the hole on one side of the basket up with the hole in the handle and place an eyelet or a brad to hold them together. Repeat on the other side.

11) Wrap your Nugget with DP using a good adhesive on both ends. I topped my Nuggets off with a flower stamped with flowers from the One of A Kind stamp set and punched them out with the coordinating Boho Blossoms Punch. I attached my flower with a mini glue dot.



Supplies for the Mini DP Easter Basket~
Fiskar Cutter/Scorer
Scraps of DP (Flowers for You & Berry Bliss)
Metallic Eyelets or brads
Cropadile
Hand-held 1/8" Fiskar hole punch
monohesive
One of A Kind stamp set
Boho Blossoms Punch
Pretty in Pink, Lavender Lace & Tempting Turquoise Classic Ink


Be sure to check back later in the week for the other basket tutorial.. Good Night!!

5 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

These are wonderful Nancy! I made them last year for Chloe's entire class since they are so fast and easy to put together.

Chris said...

these are very cute!! thanks for the tutorial...

Jo said...

These are so cute Nancy and thank you for letting us know how they were made!

Anonymous said...

These really are super cute and the spring papers you chose are so fun!!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, your little mini baskets are adorable. What a great way to use up DP scraps. I am sharing with my hostess club girls. TFS your baskets and your wonderful tutorial.