Saturday, June 7, 2008

Watercoloring with Markers


Did you know you could watercolor with SU Markers? You sure can! And it's easy too! Trying a new technique can be a little intimidating (for me anyway), but this beautiful bird image kept me inspired! Kelley at Our Daily Bread Designs has outdone herself this month. The 2 stamp sets she'll be releasing on the 15th are absolutely amazing! I'll have more samples to show you in the coming week. This set is called Sing to the Lord and includes 4 scriptures, the bird on a flowering branch, an extra flowering branch, plus a "hand stamped by" stamp! Wait till you see the other scriptures, and the other stamp set, they're awesome...love the fonts, love the verses...pretty much love everything about these sets, can you tell? I challenged myself last week to try some new ideas & techniques. So I put the Copics away for a few days {gasp} and used some of my other supplies. The images on today's cards were colored with SU Markers, some water and a watercolor brush. I stamped the images with Black Stazon onto Watercolor paper. I managed to make coloring the bird harder than it had to be, by trying to add layers and layers of color (okay, I admit it, I was thinking of my Copics, lol!). After completing that image, I moved on to one of my SU stamps...Blooming Beautiful from the Occasions Mini Catalog! After learning my lesson about adding too many colors on the bird, I took a much simpler approach with this image, and it was sooo much easier. I just added some touches of color to the Hydrangeas with Pretty in pink and Regal Rose markers, then went in and blended/melted the colors together with my brush & water. I used Old Olive marker on the leaf and Chocolate Chip marker on the flower pot. Same thing, just drew in some lines of color with the paintbrush end of the marker, then went over it with a paintbrush to create some shading and softened the lines. The water allows you to create a lot of variation even with just one color, like the chocolate chip. It's a fun technique to try : ) !
I like this variety of pink Hydrangea. I have a miniature one in my backyard by our pond. It's not looking great at the moment, but hopefully I'll see some blooms soon. My plants are always in danger of drowning from the abundance of rain we get, or beaten down by the gale force winds and if they manage to survive all that, there are periods of drought later in the summer when it stops raining & I forget to water them. My poor plants. It's amazing any of them live : ) . I'm going to try a lot harder this year to water and fertilize them and give them the TLC they need : ) !
Tomorrow (Sunday) is the 8th, so normally we'd be posting our Divine Design Bible Verse Challenge projects...but we've decided to post on the 9th this month, since the 8th landed on a Sunday and it just worked out better for several of the girls. My projects are all ready and I'm excited to share those with you on Monday morning at 8am!!
Supplies for the first card~ Stamps: Sing to the Lord (ODBD, to be released on June 15th) Paper: Regal Rose, Close to Cocoa, Watercolor paper, Summer Picnic DP, Bali Breeze DP Ink: Stazon black SU Markers: Regal Rose, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Caramel, Bordering Blue, Mustard Accessories: 1/4" polytwill Olive ribbon, Dew Drops, Stamp-a-majig, Paper snips
Supplies for the second card~ Stamps: Blooming Beautiful, Hugs & Wishes Paper: Regal Rose, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Watercolor paper, Summer Picnic DP Ink: Stazon Black SU Markers: Regal Rose, Pretty in Pink, Old Olive & Chocolate Chip Accessories: Hodgepodge Hardware in Pewter, 1/4" polytwill ribbon in Chocolate & Olive, Distressing tool (Cutters Kit), Paper piercing tool/mat pack
Have a GREAT : ) weekend!

10 comments:

Marie said...

Both cards are beautiful and that Psalm fits perfectly with the image of the bird. TFS

Janean Campbell said...

Two super cards...I love those colors...

Chantelle said...

These cards are beautiful - great job with the water-colouring. I love this technique as well.

Angel said...

Gorgeous cards, nancy!

Anonymous said...

awesome cards. love the colors!

Anonymous said...

So very pretty...cannot wait to see you scripture card!!!

Dawn Easton said...

Beautiful cards Nancy, I love watercolouring with my SU! markers. They sure make WC easier eh? You did a wonderful job!!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, absolutely lovely! I believe we can also "watercolor" with SU! markers on WC paper using our Blender Pens!

StampMom said...

Stunning cards, both of them, Nancy. Thanks for the watercoloring tips. Love the Regal Rose & Old Olive together, will have to try that combo. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nance, your watercoloring with markers, water and watercolor brushes is just fantastic....you are a natural :-) Love, love, love the bird and apple blossoms and the font on the quote is beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of the set. TFS