Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bayou Blooms

This week's SCS color challenge, CC167, was to use Blue Bayou, Certainly Celery & Soft Sky ... now there are only 2 things that will convince me to use Blue Bayou, one is a good color challenge and the other is...ummm, well, okay, I guess there is only one : ) , lol!!! In anycase, this was the color challenge and I decided to give it a try. It's not that I don't like Bayou. I've seen in used in gorgeous ways, just not on my workbench. I think what really inspired me was this great Penny Black Flower Image...another one that Joy, from Eclectic Paperie let me stamp when we were at the Copic class (thanks again Joy!). That got things rolling.
Speaking of Copics, here's what I used for the image ~



My Copics were a little jealous, because they'd heard that other bloggers photograph their Copics to show which ones were used, and I hadn't done that yet...so, yeah, today they got their picture taken : ) ... at least these 6 did!

Have you tried putting 1/4" circles behind your brads yet? You just punch a circle of cardstock out with a 1/4" circle punch, then using the paper piercing tool to pop a hole in the center then pushed the brad through. I can't remember where I first saw this done (may have been Cami)...but I liked the look. You'll have to give it a try! It's just another way to add a bit of color balance and coordination to your projects (wow, that almost makes it sound like I know what I'm doing, lol!).

That's all for now! I have a cute, cute little Pun Fun Hippo card to show you...it's pink : ) !!! Later this week, I promise!

Supplies for the card:
Stamps: Constellations (Penny Black) Paper: Blue Bayou (textured), Certainly Celery, Whisper White Ink: Brilliance Graphite Copics: see photo above Accessories: Silver brads, 1/4" circle punch, Paper piercing tool/mat pack, atyou spica glitter markers in clear and gold, Sakura clear glaze pen, polka dot celery ribbon

19 comments:

Tricia T said...

So many cute cards on here lately! I love this one. It's striking!!

Tiffany said...

GORGEOUS! Love the colors and how you added the ribbon. Very cute!

Sears Family said...

very pretty! I love the layout!

Unknown said...

nancy...this is stunning! love, love, love your layout...you definitely rocked the color challenge!

awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this color combo, but then I am a real fan of Blue Bayou as it is similar to Not Quite Navy, which is also a fav. Thanks for the reminder to add a 1/4" circle behind small brads. A great effect. TFS

Melissa K. said...

This is beautiful! Also wanted to say that when I put the 1/4" circles behind, I like to use my 1/16" circle punch first, then punch out around it with the 1/4". Maybe that tip will help someone. :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card - Nancy!!! You have really worked these colors - I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I love the colors and this is such a cyte stamp! Great job!

Elaine said...

Gosh darn it -- I want everything you used to recreate a card of my own! This is beautiful!

Mauna said...

This card is gorgeous! Love everything about it...even the blue bayou :)

Marsha said...

I wasn't crazy about the color combo for this challenge but you made it beautiful!!! Love the stamp adn the embellishments are great.

Nancy Riley said...

I think your Blue Bayou turned out FANTASTIC! Beautiful card!

Helpful hint re. the 1/4" circles .... paper pierce the hole FIRST, then punch out with the circle punch. That way, the circle doesn't crease when pierced! So much easier too!

Nicole said...

HOLY CRAPOLA, that is AMAZING work! Beautiful card and awesome layout! Keep em coming, I check on you everyday MANY times a day!

Anonymous said...

This is a great color combo.....you are making me want to splurge and switch to copics!!!

liannallama said...

this is gorgeous! I love the color combo and I love what you did with it!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Well you certainly made Blue Bayou look awesome here! Love the stamp, the colouring and the design! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful card!!!
Thanks for the brad tip!

Dawn Easton said...

Beautiful card Nancy and that image is gorgeous too!

Anonymous said...

I love this one, Nancy! The stamp is so pretty and the colors very soothing. A totally beautiful card!